If there’s one thing I can never have too much of, it’s lipstick. I have a drawer filled to its max capacity with 50 shades of pinks, peaches, nudes, and reds. I don’t discriminate either, as my collection features everything from $2 lipsticks to $70 ones. I can’t help it, it’s a makeup item that adds extra oomph to my look and gives me an instant confidence boost. I know I’m not alone in that thinking either. The “lipstick effect”–a theory that people will still spend money on small pleasures like lipsticks during a recession or challenging periods–exists for a reason.
Even though mask mandates amid the ongoing coronavirus pandemic have made us rethink our beauty style, especially when it comes to the lip products we use, that doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy this little luxury.
To celebrate National Lips Appreciation Day, I’ve listed some of my fave products. From Hermès and Gucci to Revlon and e.l.f. cosmetics, there’s a little bit of everything for everyone–no matter your budget.
- Tom Ford Lip Color Satin Matte: No one does lipstick like Mr. Ford and this one glides onto the lips like butter and dresses them up with intense color.
- Hermès Rouge Hermès Satin Lipstick: I bought this more for the name. However, the product is actually silky smooth and sits so soft on the lips that it’s worth every penny.
- Valdé Beauty Armor + Refillable Set: A lipstick that is truly a work of art with its gold and feather encased packaging. And the high-quality formula will make you want to paint your face.
- Gucci Rouge De Beauté Lipstick: This product offers a healthy glow to your lips while also making them oh-so-kissable with its high-shine and pigment.
- Charlotte Tilbury K.I.S.S.I.N.G. Lipstick: While I’m actually not a fan of how Pillow Talk (I know, shudder!) looks on my skintone, Bitch Perfect is my all-time favorite from the brand. I even wore it on my wedding day!
- Revlon Ultra HD Matte Lipcolor Lipstick: When I want some oomph and extra staying power, I always grab this goodie.
- e.l.f. Cosmetics Hydrating Core Lip Shine Lipstick: This product offers both color, shine and much-needed added hydration to my pout.
- Milani Color Fetish Matte Lipstick: This product checks all the boxes: it’s a lipstick that is creamy, comfortable and catches the eye.
- Maybelline SuperStay Matte Ink Liquid Lipstick: For those days when I need a budge- and smooch-proof lipstick, I turn to this cult-fave.
- Sephora Collection #Lipstories Lipstick: From the cute decorative packaging to the long-lasting formula, I love throwing this in my bag.
- Rare Beauty Lip Soufflé Matte Cream Lipstick
- Kosas Lipfuel Lip Balm
- Fenty Beauty The Fill Semi-Matte Lipstick
- Elaluz Lip and Cheek Stain
- Lancôme L’Absolu Rouge Cream Lipstick
Before you shop til you drop, I’ll leave you with one of my favorite lipstick quotes.
“Pour yourself a drink, put on some lipstick, and pull yourself together.” – Elizabeth Taylor